The last male Benedictine monastery on Croatian soil has been patiently guarding the Pašman Channel for centuries in prayer and work (ora et labora) from the 95 metre high Mount Čokovac.
Bishop Teodorik of Biograd had the Monastery of St. Cosmos and Damian built in 1059, on the foundations of an earlier Byzantine fortification and early Christian church. The Benedictines built a new monastery on the devastated Romanesque one when they first went to Šibenik to go back to Čokovac after the Venetian devastation of Biograd in the 12th century. The Venetians again damaged the monastery in the 14th century but the Benedictines renewed it in the Gothic style. Reinforced with walls and viewing the area of Kotari and Vrana to the Dinara and Velebit, embraced by black oak trees, this oasis of peace and prayer will inspire every visitor.